Religious education (R.E.) is a key part of our curriculum and it underpins our Christian vision, "Let us love, not in word but in truth and action." As a voluntary aided school within the Diocese of Blackburn, we follow their syllabus, which was revised in 2013. The R.E. curriculum is divided into two sections:
Teachers devote a minimum of 1 hour per week to RE lessons with further elements of R.E. delivered through collective worship.
Christianity plays a central role in R.E. taking up approximately 80% of the time available (as agreed by the Governing Board). The rest of the time (20%) is devoted to appropriate teaching about other faiths and world views. The scheme allows children to develop their knowledge, understanding and appreciation of religion, as well as encouraging them to think, explore, reflect and respond to big questions about the meaning and purpose of life. Through studying the Bible and focusing on our Christian values, we aim to live our lives as Jesus would like.
As part of our creative approach, some R.E. lessons are taught in a creative way with the use of art, music, dance and drama. Some topics have R.E. as a central theme and others include R.E. within the topic. Where R.E. doesn’t fit within a creative topic, it is taught as a discrete subject.
Parental rights of withdrawal
Parents have the right to withdraw their children from religious education and should approach the Headteacher if this is their wish. However, the teachings of the Gospel enter all aspects of the school. As a result, withdrawal of pupils from formal religious education or worship would not isolate them from the Anglican religious teaching which the school gives.
R.E. Units 2019 2020 (including 1 unit on non-Christian faith)